On The Fly Guide Service is the longest standing and most reputable guide service in southeast Minnesota and has been guiding anglers from all over the world since 1998.
I am an independent guide service and operate with the interests of my clients and am not affiliated with any corporate fly fishing company or fly fishing shop as some other guide services in the Driftless area. I'm a regular guy who knows where the trout are.
Whether you are new to the sport and want to learn about fly fishing, someone looking to fine tune their skills, or an out of towner looking to get out and catch some trout, I cater to all ability levels and skills.
Trip Contact Information: email@example.com
Licensing: You must have a valid Minnesota license and trout stamp. Buy it online here:
- I provide transportation to and from the stream, snacks and beverages for all trips.
- I provide all the flies, leaders, tippet, etc. and on the water instruction.
- Trips originate out of the Rochester, MN area, but I can meet you at other locales depending upon your accommodations.
What to Bring
Fly Rod/Reel: If you have your own gear and prefer to fish it, please do.
- If you need a loaner rod/reel, please let me know.
- Clients will have the option to use new Orvis Recons in 4 and 5 weights outfitted with a Ross reel and Scientific Anglers fly line.
Waders: I do not provide clients with waders/boots.
- If you have waders, please bring them along.
- Spring and fall - they are a necessity.
- Summer months - not a necessity.
- Neoprene waders are acceptable if the weather warrants
Clothing: A hat, polarized sunglasses (preferably brown) - these are a MUST!
- NO SHORTS, NO SANDALS, NO CROCS
- Wear durable footwear and long pants.
- Plan on getting wet and dirty if we are wet wading.
- NO GULLY BOOTS - they just fill up with water.
Other: Bug repellent, sunscreen, or other personal amenities.
- I have been getting more and more inquiries about guiding kids. I am very hesitant to take anyone under the age of 12 on the water. Fly casting is fine motor/two-handed proposition, and kids at this age just to not have the ability to functionally cast to make their day enjoyable. The reality is for all fly anglers: if you can't cast, you can't catch.
Rates: (note that these rates are lower than other area guide services in Preston and Lanesboro)
On The Fly Guide Service accepts cash, check, or Venmo (@Dave-Anderson-120) at the completion of each trip.
Gratuity is up to each individual client but is always welcome.
Brand new to Fly Fishing? Read This
Read reviews on Google Review.
Winter Trout Season Fishing via Start at the 16 minute mark.